Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cusco in all it's richness...(Pt. II)

If any of you have gotten the opportunity to see my Facebook pictures, then you've cheated and have already caught a glimpse of the ruins (my spanish teacher calls them "monuments" because of the negative connotation one might get from ruins). They are, in a word, incredulous. Don't believe me, take a look for yourself.

Q'enqo
Sacsayhuaman
Tipon
More ruins on our hike through Tipon

Pikillakta
Sun beginning to set at Pikillakta
Eh? See what I mean? Now imagine building these incredible structures one thousand years ago, without anything close to the lifting and construction tools we take for granted today. Pretty amazing to think about. Each structure had or still has it's own purpose, whether for means of living under, as incredible water canals used for agriculture, or as constructed religious temples and animal formations dedicated to the gods that the Inca people worshipped. As much walking as we did on "ruin weekend" (including some extracurricular hiking through the backwoods), it was awesome to walk through these places and realize all of the ingenuity and time that went into these rock formations and carvings. One of the most amazing things is that most all of the ruins were constructed up on hillsides or in the mountains, where they would have had to have hauled thousands of rocks and boulders for miles just to get the supplies where they needed them. And if I build a house someday with my bare hands that manages to withstand one thousand years of wear and tear and still stick around, I think I'd smile and give myself a nice little pat on the back, knowing that my neighbors homes were falling apart after a mere one hundred years. All in all, the Inca people receive an A+ in their skillfulness and craft.
As well, the week was a special one, as it marked the 100th anniversary of the re-discovery of Machu Picchu! Although it was re-dicovered on July 24th, 1911, the celebration was actually on July 7th, probably so as not to conflict too much with Peruvian Independence Day, which falls on July 28th. Honestly, Cusco probably has celebrated holidays on average about twice a week since I have been here, whether the holidays are Catholic, Incan, or just because they feel like it, I guess. I have watched parade after parade from the Plaza, the street, and my bedroom window in the four weeks I have been here. I'm not complaining, though I have occasionally been awoken by what sounds like small bombs going off on the street outside, but that's the Cusqueñan life :) At Machu Picchu's 100th Anniversary though , the Plaza was transformed into a concert venue, with the Cathedral de Santo Domingo as the backdrop, and the Plaza being filled with many tourists and locals who wanted to celebrate the big day. I even got my 15 seconds of fame on Peruvian live television, when I was approached by a news reporter and asked about the event. All I could muster up was "FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS PERU!" and take part in a "MA-CHU PIC-CHU" chant with the reporter and a couple of friends. The concert was followed up by a nice fireworks show, and I'm sure partying into the wee hours of the morning, though I called it a night by about midnight.

Steph and I with our new Peruvian field reporter friend
I don't know if it just feels this way, but I think I came to Peru at the perfect time, right in the midst of all of the celebrations and holidays, where I get to witness some very cool sights. In addition to great fiestas, Peru, as well, has giving me a fresh perspective on the way I go through life and how much I take for granted. I have been given the incredible opportunity to travel, and in doing so see exactly how sheltered my mind can be when it comes to other cultures, ideals, and values. For instance, I have met some very travel-happy Europeans who grew up speaking two maybe three languages in addition to their native tongue! Not only that, their sense of geography and history (yes, including U.S. history) far surpasses mine and makes me wonder what I was doing all those years in high school. They grew up being exposed to not only the customs and ongoings of their own country, but to be conscious of world issues and specifics about foreign countries as well. I have a deep growing desire to be, and I know I overuse the word but, cultured. Because I know that closing myself off to only what's immediately around me and being self-involved is only a recipe for closed-mindedness. To open ones self up and take in this entire world we have been given to live upon creates a new appreciation for all people and all places, and allows us to love not only our neighbor, but our neighbor across the hemisphere as well. Discovering how well I have it economically in relation to the way entire countries struggle only makes me want more to get rid of things of value and feel what it's like to no longer trust things and possessions, but God the creator above all else. I just re-read a chapter from A.W. Tozer's Pursuit of God (shout-out to the Monday morning POG's, I truly miss those pancakes) that talks about the beauty of being "poor in spirit". Tozer talks about how we can choose to live a life that is filled with the possessiveness of "things" or anything with material value. Or, we can live for the eternal and gain everything. Not everything as in plasma flat screens and Mercedes-Benz's, but everything as in the eternal salvation of our souls. Or the chance to spend every waking minute with our Lord. I have had quite a trip as far as losing material possessions go, as I have left my wallet in a cab in Lima, as well as had my phone swiped from my bag here in Cusco. I am not going to deny that in many ways these were of my own fault, because I have been careless and a bit errant. Though I can say that both of these instances have humbled me and allowed me to look at the way I value "things" and realize that the important thing is that my family is okay, and I'm more than okay. Somewhere I am hoping that somebody has a few extra dollars in their pocket or a new smartphone, but they are still not placing their all in these "things". Because someday "things" will all be gone, and we'll still have to deal with the consequences of the decisions we either made or didn't make. I know this has been a mini-tangent, but this trip has opened my eyes to this more than a little, and I wanted to share. I do have to get some rest though, because this afternoon I'm playing in a fùtbol tournament with a few other guys for charity, and I'll need all the edge I can get :) Next time I blog, I'll probably be back in Lima with my mom and sister, so until then, love you all!

2 comments:

  1. We are enjoying your journey in Peru all the pictures too. Is the weather warming up there today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobby
    We just read your latest letter, you are having a great time and very educational. We just returned from Michael's service at my church. A nice crowd and service was nice.

    ReplyDelete